Lens Choices - Canon vs Sigma

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
bowserb Forum Member • Posts: 93
Re: Lens Choices - Canon vs Sigma

My wife and I have used too many lenses too long--going back to the first Canon Rebel.  I go back to the Nikon F from 1968 to 2001.  My wife likes to shoot birds, and I go along to mostly carry gear.  A lot of time in wildlife refuges has produced a lot of pictures and experience with a lot of lenses--plus lots of chigger bites.  We also do landscapes (yawn), cityscapes, architecture, and kids' sports--soccer, basketball, and volleyball.  My wife has gone from the Rebel to 20D, 40D, 7D, 5D2, and 5DS-R (the last three she still uses).  I went from the Rebel after she moved on, to Rebel XT and Rebel SL1, then a couple years ago to the M50.  I think a lot of our equipment is in the signature.  Here's our experience.

My wife always falls back on the Canon 500F4 and 1.4x for birds, but often the 100-400 original--and that lens especially for outdoor sports.  The slide-zoom of the 1oo-400 is perfect for soccer and other sports where the action moves quickly from far to close to far.  You keep the zoom lock rings loose, and you can quickly zoom in or out without twisting your hand.  That lens is so versatile, it--along with the 24-105--is never left at home, no matter what.  Bonus on the M50 (and most mirrorless I imagine), the 100-400 will still AF with the 1.4x extender.  Sharp and very good IS.  Two AF ranges.  The Internet myth about the slide zoom being a dust sucker is just that in our experience of 15 years taken everywhere from wildlife refuges with dirt roads to birds on the beach.  It's ruggedly built, and its benefits more than outweigh the MM shortfall compared to the Tamron 150-600, which is my least favorite lens purchase ever.  If you can find an original 100-400 in good condition, I don't think you'll be disappointed.  However, the only times I've ever heard of anyone letting that lens go was when they switched from Canon to Sony, so finding a good one may take some effort.

bowserb's gear list:bowserb's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M50 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow