Epson P900 - New Print Quality Settings

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Keith Cooper
Keith Cooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,702
Re: Epson P900 - New Print Quality Settings (P700 too)

Mr Owl wrote:

Thanks, that's interesting. I wish there was a way in software to see a preview of black enhance overcoat beforehand.

There is - make a paper profile using it

It's guesswork as it is due to SOME images that are shadow-heavy working well with that feature & others you'd think would be OK are not at all. So yes one needs to be case-by-case on this.

Having gone to some lengths to make a good icc profile, the last thing I want is a 'darken this print a bit if you feel like it'button  This flies against many of the reasons I got into colour management in the first place.

What I note is that there is only one Epson ICC profile per paper - these seem based on the mid settings. If you want the darkening, make a profile for it, but be prepared for it to make much less a difference than the 'random blacken' checkbox  (the profiling evens it out )

For Epson TPP on the P700/900 I made a set of profiles at different settings (some 17k patches in all) and the differences whilst noticeable from the profiles, are much less so with real images.

This led partly to my preference for the mid quality setting for photo papers and a strong belief that the high end (5760) settings are for marketing purposes and tinkerers

-- hide signature --

bye for now
Keith Cooper

Keith Cooper's gear list:Keith Cooper's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow