How good or bad is Sony 10-18?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
JimH123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,741
Re: How good or bad is Sony 10-18?

gary stepic wrote:

I am tempted to sell my a7r3 and buy the a6600 and 10-18 lens. I would also add the 16-55 2.8 Sony. I like the idea of a smaller kit that will include the a7r4 and 24-105 Sony. I do not like to change lenses and have always liked using one camera with a mid range walk around zoom and another with an ultra wide zoom. Replacing the a7r3 and 16-35 4.0 Sony with the a6600 and 10-18 allows me to use a smaller bag I like to use when traveling.

Most of my photos will be used to post on the web. I am planning two trips to Europe next year. My goal is to come up with at least one large 6'x4' canvas print and several 36"x24" canvas prints for my home. I want to do a lot more video for this trip. I will be bring a monopod that is easy to travel with along with a small mini tripod I attach at the bottom. It is fairly sturdy if I do not extend monopod all the way. I use this set up for panos or for shots I know I will make a large print of.

My guess is for video the a6600 and 10-18 could be a good combo and in general good for most ultra wide shots. My hope is would also be good for fairly large canvas prints (up to 40"). I would most likely be shooting stopped down a bit with the 10-18, the more depth of field the better for filming and shooting in those narrow European streets.

I am curious if 10-18 owners are very satisfied with this lens? I love the size of this lens. From what I read corners are not good shooting wide open. I think for the vast majority of what I would shoot, including video, this will not be a problem. My guess is if stopped down to 5.6 or 8.0 even corners would be good enough for larger canvas prints. Correct me if I am wrong.

Gary

I am in the process of upping my opinion of the Sony 10-18mm f4 lens. Someone else had posted a link to a YouTube video by Robin Whalley. :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIiVf5647SQ "Was I Fooled into Changing Cameras?"

In this YouTube video, he talks about his discovery that the Adobe RAW conversion is not doing a great job and the results come out much better use DxO Photolab.  Of course this means that you have to be using a lens and camera combination that DxO has created data for.

Using what I learned from his video, I took some images from my Sony 10-18mm lens and compared the results using Adobe (Lightroom or Photoshop) and DxO Photolab.

What I found was that he was correct. The corners and edges were soft or even looking like they were smeared when using Adobe to process the RAW files, and the corners and edges came out looking very good with DxO. Also, Adobe actually crops a bit off edges where as DxO kept the whole image.

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow