Lens purchase decision - advice please

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
OP TeeJay626 Regular Member • Posts: 385
Re: Lens purchase decision - advice please

Well......

My 100-400L II arrived today, and.....  It's going right back tomorrow to my local shop where I bought it for an exchange.  Something is way out of whack.  It's extremely soft at any focal length, and it's missing focus.  When I test focus speed, it's slower than an original EF-S 75-300!

The only thing I can think of is something happened during shipping, and either some elements shifted or something.  It was packed very well with a lot of shipping material inside to cushion it, but there was a small gash in the outer box.

I already spoke with the camera shop (they're amazing, BTW) and they put another one aside for me when I get there tomorrow.  I tested it on my 77D and my wife's T3i, and there is definitely something wrong.

Ugh... nothing more disappointing when you spend a good amount of money on professional gear, and it doesn't work.  I still have high hopes, as the one I rented in August for my Yellowstone trip was amazing.

Here's a few shots to show what I mean.

Just checking the focus points

Grid shot.

TeeJay626's gear list:TeeJay626's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 80D Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow