17-70mm lens (Pentax or Tamron advice please)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Jhaakas
Jhaakas Senior Member • Posts: 1,162
Re: Sigma!

TheLastMan wrote:

Massao wrote:

Stephen_H wrote:

Hi all

I'm looking at replacing my 18-55 kit lens on my K-50. This 17-70 looks like the perfect replacement, and the reviews on both are favorable.

What are your opinions on the two?

Native or third party? Which is sharpest? Which focusses better? Which just feels better and gives that warm glow inside?

I've compared both the Pentax 17-70mm f/4 and Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5. Pentax is an absolute junk compared to Sigma's iteration.

Better still, the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8, super sharp - much better quality than either the Pentax or Tamron. Cheaper than the 17-70 and probably better too, if you can manage without the extra 20mm of reach

The sigma might have physical build quality that is better than Tamron, but I tend to differ that I like the images from Tamron .. they are so much Pentax like... In fact Pentax does share some Tamron lenses.

I had a Sigma 10-20 and did not like the iQ from it at all, replaced it with Pentax 12-24 and couldnt be happier.. Again a personal choice.

-- hide signature --

-- ## Thanks!

Jhaakas's gear list:Jhaakas's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 macro +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow