How to use new SSD and HDD drives most effectively

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP 21tones Regular Member • Posts: 297
Re: How to use new SSD and HDD drives most effectively

Thankyou to everyone for your speedy and helpful responses.

I am in the UK and use Virgin Media's email. I don't know whether it is POP or IMAP.

My email indicates I have used 2.68gb of a 25gb quota. Does this imply it is stored on their server? I also access the email on my phone, so I guess it must be?

In an article on the ON1 website they indicate that 50,000 photos catalogued at what they call standard size would take up 53gb storage space using a 1920 x 1080 monitor.

50,000 photos using a 4k monitor would take 85gb.

I use 2k so I guess it is somewhere between those figures.

Thanks for the reminder about Macrium Free. I have never done a system backup before but know I need to start to do this sort of thing.

When I asked on1 about backing up to an external drive with a full system backup they said

"Currently the only way to back up, catalogs and cache are to use a full system back up.
This only works for the current system, and would not restore files to a new machine.

Any type of backup, currently, would require a full back up on the existing machine, and does not allow for a complete restore to a new computer, due to file differences in the (GUID)"

I didn't ask them about restoring to a new computer, but back to the existing one e.g. if it got a virus and the C drive needed to be wiped.

As I say I just don't understand this.

I won't respond to anything else tonight as my wife wants me to do some jobs now!

But I will tomorrow if anyone makes any further comments

Thank you again

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow