How to use new SSD and HDD drives most effectively

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,742
Re: How to use new SSD and HDD drives most effectively

21tones wrote:

ON1 tell me it is not possible to backup the catalogue to an external drive and restore it to the C drive, if there are any problems with that drive, because of something to do with the GUID (which I don't understand).

They may be saying that a simple copying of files won't work, for reasons I don't understand either. 

However...

So I will have to back up the catalogue from the C drive to the D drive and hope that both drives don't fail.

Does this sound right to you technical experts? I assumed I could do a full backup and restore it all onto the C drive if it had to be wiped e.g because of a virus.

...if you use a disk imaging or cloning utility to make an exact copy of your C: (and/or D:) to an external disk drive, you should be able to do a complete and perfect reinstall of the drive as it was at the time you imaged/cloned it, back to the original drive if necessary. Many of us here use Macrium Reflect (free or paid) to do this, but there are several good imaging/cloning programs around.

I've had to do that several times over the years, and it's always returned my system drive to that original condition. I don't know how ON1 could be an exception; anyone?

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow