Z 6II does birds

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Luftwalk Regular Member • Posts: 213
Re: Z 6II does birds

PkmX wrote:

Luftwalk wrote:

Tim S wrote:

What Creative edge is saying is great news because that means we may have a cheap D5/D6 available with functioning silent shooting for wildlife shooters. Thing is why haven't we seen it yet? Where are the testers?

I've actually had good results with the original Z6 and dog tracking. I used different modes in AF-C, but mainly use Wide-S. Auto Area with subject tracking works pretty well if the light is good and not too much clutter around the subject.

Examples here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/luftwalk/albums/72157706365176231

The hit rate is pretty impressive! Do you have experiences with how well the animal eye AF work against dogs running toward the camera at full speed? I'm seriously considering getting the Z6II for dog action photography, and I assume the AF should be generally faster on the II and being able to restrict animal eye AF to wide modes should help the camera to not get distracted by other things in the frame.

I've done a few tests and I think the main issue it has....it can be slow to pick up the animal when it's farther away....when it realises that it has an animal to track, it kinda plays catch up....

I've found that in a lot of modes...if you start with good AF it tends to keep up, but if you're inital focus is off it kinda keeps a lack lustre perfomance. Would very much like to get a Z6II to test alongside my Z6...

Thanks to everyone for the compliments

Luftwalk's gear list:Luftwalk's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow