My latest purchases...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
linux99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,077
Definitely two types of photo book....

D Cox wrote:

linux99 wrote:

You get much more benefit from learning how to photograph than new gear for sure!

It's a shame we dont have a "reading list" anywhere - might be more helpful than some of the camera reviews. And Amazon sell books as well as cameras (and own dpreview!).

Both of those are good books and for sure would be on the list.

They would, but many of the best photography books are collections of the work of outstanding photographers, and these tend to go out of print rather quickly.

In my mind there are two (maybe three) very distinct types of photo book:

1. How to... Books which focus on technique, composition, maybe critical theory and a very clear sub category on specific camera model based books (Nikon D1 For Dummies etc).

The two books the OP bought fall into that category. I'd also list the books by Harald Mante, most of the books by the Amphoto publishing house, Lauden and Lauden, the Tom Ang books, Barthes, Sontag etc.

These tend to stick around, and a list would be good.

2. Separate category - books of photographs by excellent photographers which serve as a reference. I'd also include select museum catalogues in that category. Thinking of books like "Tokyo Lucky Hole", "Provoke", The Americans" or "Love on the Left bank".

These may be ephemeral - but often you can buy nearly as good reprints from Taschen or Phiadon.

A list of the true classics here would also be good - even is only to tell you what to borrow from the library!

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Canon PowerShot S100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X100T +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow