Wide-Angle Prime Question

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
thedanj
thedanj Regular Member • Posts: 454
Wide-Angle Prime Question

Hi all,

I have a wide-angle prime question. Looking at my travel and landscape photos, I seem to shoot mostly around 12mm. I am always looking to reduce the size and weight in my bag, so I would really like my UWA lens to be a smaller prime rather than a zoom. I don't do astro, so I don't need it to be particularly fast.

I wish Fuji made an UWA prime in the 10-12 range, but I know demand for that is low and is likely to stay low given the two wide-angle zooms. So, my options... Although I love the size, I think the Laowa 9mm might be too wide for me, and I know the Fuji 14mm will be too tight. So I've been looking at the Rokinon/Samyang 12mm, the Zeiss Touit 12mm, and, more recently, the 7Artisans 12mm. The Zeiss is a little spendy, even used, and in comparing images online, I can't see that the IQ is that much better than the Rokinon, at least not to the point that it would be worth spending 2 or 3 times as much. (I do realize the Zeiss has autofocus, but that's not a big concern for me. Plus, the Zeiss is kind of large for its FL.) Now, I am not under any illusion that the 7Artisans lens would have phenomenal IQ, but given its cheap price, I am curious. Samples I've seen look decent. Does anyone here shoot with it? I did a thread search and didn't find any discussion about it.

In the absence of that, right now I am leaning towards the Rokinon, but are there other UWA primes that I am not taking into consideration?

Thanks, all.

thedanj's gear list:thedanj's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow