DxO Deep Prime workflow questions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NicholasD
NicholasD Contributing Member • Posts: 763
DxO Deep Prime workflow questions

I picked up a copy of PL4 and agree with the consensus – Deep Prime is a significant improvement over Prime in PL3. I have some general questions in trying to get the most out of the package. I use LR as my primary editing software and selectively use PL4 as a plug in when needing high ISO noise reduction.

Is there a way to handle jpg’s. I know Prime and Deep Prime require RAW’s. Can one process a file in LR as a DNG and then roundtrip to/from PL4? Any other workaround? I have plenty of old family images taken years ago as jpg’s that have horrible chroma and luminance noise. I don’t expect miracles, but it would be nice to get the most out of them if possible. FWIW, I also have Topaz AI denoise although would prefer to keep workflow as simple as possible (I prefer PL4 in general)

Are there pros and cons to the various export options? Besides file size, is there any significant difference between TIFF and DNG when exporting back to LR? I don’t see anything but if there is some performance reason, would be good to know. I export as DNG at present for file size.

Curious why Deep Prime has only the luminance slider (and dead pixels) while Prime has those plus chroma, etc. I prefer simply having the one slider as I never was confident in playing around with the 4 or 5 Prime sliders (and not entirely sure what they all did to be honest). Can anyone speak to DxO’s logic behind going to one general slider (obviously has something to do with the AI algorithm).

Any other performance hints or usability shortcuts? As noted, I’m really impressed with the product particularly on faces – it is evident that DxO spent a lot of time and energy on nailing denoising on human features.

Thanks in advance.

NicholasD's gear list:NicholasD's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D40 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow