Is 17-35mm f2.8 Nikon still good?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 21,178
Re: Nikon site good because of MTF

pluton wrote:

I see no good reason why a Nikon with poor corners wide open should not generally similarly significantly improve by f8.

This is an apt description of the behavior of my copy of the 17-35/2.8. But---some of the readers here seem to want their lenses to match the center performance at 1mm in from the corner. Yeah...that's not going to happen.

Disagreeing with the current thread heading - I consider the Nikon site poor for MTF - because - unlike several other brands - it does not include an often important f8 MTF in addition to wide open MTF.

As I mentioned earlier I never owned the 17-35 - though I did own the 24-70 f2.8 introduced about the same time.

When the 24-70 f2.8 F came out I - and most others at the time - found it around 1 stop better in the corners at wide apertures - and significantly better for flare control with the sun near the edge of the frame.

The 24-70 f2.8 S has a distinct improvement over the F mount version.

This perhaps brings us full circle. The 17-35 (and 28-70) were good in the their era though more as distinct from no stopping down was needed for very sharp corners.

The latest finest optics need less stopping down for critically sharp corners (as in sharper the the eye can resolve in a 16x12 inch print) - but cost more money.

Off - and partly on topic - some debate that portraits cannot be taken without using an f1.4 lensĀ 

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +25 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow