100-400 S lens with TC 1.4 or 2.0 working on Z6?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 5,387
Re: 100-400 S size ??

z2122 wrote:

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

z2122 wrote:

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

If I've seen that photo, I don't remember it. Do you think the 100-400 might be an f/4? That would be very nice. I'm thankful to have a 200-500 that performs as well as it does. It's probably what I will have for some time to come. I dream a lot more than buy.

When I compare the size if the 100-400 S lens with the much bigger 180-400 f4 it is very unlikely that the S lens will have f4 on the long end.

Most probably it will be a f4.5-f5.6 as the existing 80-400 F mount lens.

I suspect you're right. What made me think it might be an f/4 is the current history of S-line lenses. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all S zoom lenses have been constant aperture, and none slower than f/4. That doesn't mean Nikon will adhere to that scheme.

maybe there is the possibility to have 100-400 f4, but most probably this will cost a lot and will need some Nikon pf- magic to get it in that size.

The PF technology doesn't alter the laws of optical design.  A 100-400mm f/4 lens would require a front element at least 100mm in diameter.  The silhouette of the lens on Nikon's roadmap clearly isn't that wide.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow