Stepup ring with lenshoods

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Dori C
Dori C New Member • Posts: 23
Re: Stepup ring with lenshoods

Neverland76uk wrote:

Can Olympus lenses like the 12-100 or 40-150 f2.8 use their lens hoods if you use a step up ring 72-77?

Or are their universal lens hoods for this ?

Neverland - for the 12-100 it matters what you mean by does the lens hood work with a step-up ring.

If you mean get the hood on and off while the step-up ring is on the lens, no the lens hood doesn't work.

If you mean have the lens hood on the lens in the shooting position and then screw on the step up ring - it sort of works.

But you can't take the lens hood off the camera. And that is the fatal flaw.

It is not easy to get the step up ring on - you don't have room to use your fingers. As one person said you can slip the ring and scratch your glass. How I've tested it is  to use my 77mm lens cap on the step-up ring to screw on the step-up ring (mine has ridged grips that that make it easy to turn).

In real life I wouldn't do this because the reason I'd use this would be to make use of circular polarizers and I'd be scared that polarizer thread and the step-up ring thread would jam.

Then turning the lens cap/filter wouldn't take the step-up ring off the lens. You don't have room to get your fingers in there to pry the filter and ring off and personally i'm not sure you can fit a tool either. In that case I think you'd have to break the lens hood off (and its a pretty nice hood and I bet not a cheap replacement).

So I take the lens hood off to use step up rings with my good 77mm filters and have a couple of older, not quite as good 72 mm filters if I feel I really need to leave the hood on.

Dori C's gear list:Dori C's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm XP80 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J4 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow