Help me calculate/understand the physics of aperture, DOF and BG blur -

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Darren James New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Help me calculate/understand the physics of aperture, DOF and BG blur -

Did... did it appear like I was trying to mathematically calculate DOF? Or, did I maybe seem to be talking about it’s practical manifestation in photography?

Like, the thing photographers do. As opposed to the other thing, which is something that undergrads do on their midterms. Understanding the physics of something with a practical application includes understanding it’s practical physical manifestation.

My... not quite free-of-snark replies to this particular point stem from what seems to be the fairly clear (I thought?) context of my original statement (probably 4 pages back) being largely ignored and replaced with the most pedantic context available. The original context which, if one were to read said original statement, would seem pretty cut and dry.

Anyway, I should go take a nap. I’ll read the article after the nap because it’s probably interesting.

Tom Axford wrote:

Darren James wrote:

Definition:

Depth of Field

• n.In photography, the distance in front of and behind the subject that appears to be in focus.

I’m not sure what definition you use, but unless it’s that one or one like it then I’m not sure you can claim it’s “the usual definition”.

The part of that definition that is vague is the phrase "appears to be in focus".

A more precise definition is needed if you want to mathematically calculate the DoF.

The Wikipedia article on DoF contains a discussion of most of the relevant aspects and incorporates several different points of view on the subject. It is worth having a look at.

Darren James's gear list:Darren James's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S33 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon 1 V2 Canon EOS 70D +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow