Why does my Win10 often not sleep?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 18,653
Why does my Win10 often not sleep?

I have a Win10 laptop that I got about 15 months ago. Currently on 20H2. Ever since I got it the PC has behaved rather strangely with regards to sleep so this is not new with 20H2. When I select Power -> Sleep it exhibits one of these 6 behaviors and I have no idea why or when it will choose one of these behaviors rather than the other:

1. Screen is dark, quiet, all keyboard lights are off, and power button light is off. Seems to really be sleeping.
  2. Screen is dark, quiet, all keyboard lights are off, and power button light is on.
  3. Screen is dark, fan is running, all keyboard lights are off, and power button light is on.
  4. Screen is dark, fan is running, keyboard lights are on, and power button light is on.
  5. Screen changes to Windows screensaver screen, fan is running, all keyboard lights are off, and power button light is on.
  6. Screen changes to Windows screensaver screen, fan is running, all keyboard lights are on, and power button light is on.

Please read carefully the 6 states above to see what is different. Sometimes when it is in #3-6 after some time the fan will go off, sometimes the keyboard lights go off, sometimes even the power button light will go off. But sometimes not.

To make things even stranger there have been periods of a few days or even a few weeks when the sleep suddenly and mysteriously starts behaving consistently like the expected #1 state, but then just as mysteriously it will eventually return to acting weird.

Is Windows doing something in the background that I don't know about (Windows update, etc.) that is causing it to behave so strangely? I don't recall seeing this behavior in my PCs before Win10. I have another Win10 laptop that when I put it to sleep it is quiet and lights go off. Both Win10 laptops though will occasionally wake up on their own.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow