Why do photographers here not use post processing?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,649
Why do photographers here not use post processing?

I know this is going to be controversial, but it is something I have thought about for a long time – as in years. Why do most of the photographers on this forum shun the use post processing?

There are many nice photos exhibited here that could be so much better with a little editing. It wouldn’t take much. I’m not taking about presets. Just adjust the lighting some. Faces are dark (and not for dramatic effect), landscapes are muddy with obscured details, photos are just generally dark and have no pop.

Bringing out the lighter, midtowns, and shadows of a photo while counter balancing by deeping the blacks would greatly benefit many of the pictures I see here. The result is more contrast, which can be controlled to the photographer’s taste, but is an essential part of photography. This was not invented in the digital age. It was very much a part of film photography, at least by those photographers who did their own developing.

Now it so much easier in the digital realm that it just seems downright lazy not to. Every editing program has an “auto tone” button that can often be all that is needed. And if your program has a brush tool for selective editing try using it to separate the subject some from the background. (Maybe spend $89 for the ON1 Raw program. It’s easy, intuitive, and robust. Just an example, not a product promotion.)

I expect some pushback on this, but my criticism is valid, and worth considering. I hope you will accept it as coming from a friendly source. Now I’m going to put on my motorcycle helmet and wait for the projectiles.

Respectively,

Michael

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tex
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow