Can lack of most recent BIOS update cause black screen of death, system crash? Locked

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
KJC Regular Member • Posts: 179
Can lack of most recent BIOS update cause black screen of death, system crash?

Dell Precision 3630 from 2020

I was watching (streaming) the latest news video about the pandemic in Opera browser, when all of a sudden, blackness--"Darker'n a black steer's tuchus on a moonless prairie"

Blackness as far as the eye could see. AND a buzzing sound! The system was totally unresponsive, so I had to do the one-fingered salute. Upon reboot, everything seemed normal.

(There was no power failure, I did not kick something over; I was sitting totally motionless.)

I immediately called Dell--I have three years, plus extra protection (bought from the enterprise side of their operations). They told me to download the latest BIOS from 18 November 2020, which was labeled "urgent". The tech said she was "sure" it would solve the problem. (The Dell Command UPdate app always FAILS and I had to do it from their website)

Hmmm, is it possible that running my system without the most recent BIOS update (released just a few weeks ago!) could cause a problem such as this? IN over 30 years of Windows computing with all different kinds of machines, I have NEVER seen anything like this!

Also, on a couple of occasions (months ago) I have had the system freeze when moving the mouse to transition from full-screen video (saved not streamed) in the WIndows Media player. I switched to the Power Media Player for Dell and have not had the problem again. I assumed it was possibly an issue with the software, but now, after the problem today, I'm wondering whether there really is some underlying hardware issue. .

Any ideas?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KJC
MOD Austinian
KJC
KJC
MOD Austinian
KJC
MOD Austinian
KJC
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
KJC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow