Is the D800 worth it at this price in 2020?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Daniel Bliss Senior Member • Posts: 1,965
Re: Is the D800 worth it at this price in 2020?

From a current D800 user, this seems about right. I would be sure to check whether the left AF issue is fixed, as the miscalibration of the focusing sensor seems to have hit most cameras. I have two cameras quite late in the production run, both of which had it, but both of which were recalibrated under warranty. It is a straightforward repair but you want to be absolutely clear as to what the cost is going to be if it's going to be on you.

Also check to make sure central autofocus is comparably accurate in both indoor and outdoor lighting. Every Nikon body I purchased from 2000 through 2012 had some kind of issue with mirror angle misadjustment, which typically resulted in backfocus in 2700 kelvin (i.e. warm indoor incandescent lighting) even as outdoor sunny weather (5000K) focus was correct and you might even get front focus on a cloudy day with bluish light (7000K). None of the D800 bodies I've tried have it, and it did come out about the time the incidence of this problem in Nikon declined sharply, but just something to be aware of.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow