Just got my r5, LOVE IT. Bought it for general purpose, may end up being my wildlife camera as well.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Tazz93
Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,626
Re: R5 doesn’t focus

KiloHotelphoto wrote:

No not eye focus just regular focus, it just won’t focus I just get the red box. I was out for three hours this morning and it happened a handful of times.

If I’m focused at something close then want to focus on something far away it’s completely blurry in the EVF it can’t focus, I have to turn the focus ring to get it close then it will focus.

And the other way also, if I’m focused on something far then want to shoot something close same thing happens.
Im going to try and contact Canon about this because it’s a big problem.

I think what you are referring to is more of a mirrorless trait than an issue with the R5/R6. They don't like to go from sharp to wildly de-focused areas, as well the R5 seems to dislike prioritizing some things like water. I find when I try to pre-focus in slightly wavy or choppy water, it just hunts or gives that red box.

I believe both have something to do with the way it and most mirrorless cameras imitate the DSLR phase detect array. Most imitate it by using pixels on the same horizontal plane (similar to a horizontal sensor array). This unfortunately, was one of the worst sensor arrays on the DSLR. Canon looks to be experimenting with simulating a cross array which was one of the DSLR's best array choices. Hopefully there's some head room in the R5/R6 to assimilate it over, but if not.. I really can't complain. Its still, hands down, the best focusing camera I've had.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow