Classic Negative and Bleach Bypass film sims. in Capture One on Macintosh computers

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RetiringGuy Regular Member • Posts: 416
Classic Negative and Bleach Bypass film sims. in Capture One on Macintosh computers

I'll start off by saying that this post is primarily for Capture One users on Apple Macintosh computers.

I don't have a Windows based machine so I have no idea if any of the below might help you Capture One users on Windows.

I don't usually make use of film simulations on my landscape shots. I would normally choose the 'Film Standard' 'Curve' but I will sometimes use the 'Linear' curve. (I like the extra editing freedom.)

Anyway it started by me noticing that there seemed to be many people that wanted film simulations from later cameras than the cameras that they have at present. Especially the 'Classic Negative' and the 'Bleach Bypass' from the X-T3/X-T4 and X-T4 respectively.

So, I started to look at some of the existing film simulations available for my X-H1 and then changed the X-H1 RAW EXIF data to an appropriate value and checked out some more images with the Classic Negative and Bleach Bypass film simulations.

Basically I decided that I would never use Bleach Bypass on any landscape images but that I might occasionally benefit from Classic Negative.

I didn't want to have to go through the hassle of changing the EXIF data of many images just to see whether or not Classic Negative was a potential choice so I decided to try to just make the Classic Negative simulation available for my X-H1 in my Capture One 20 without having to change the file EXIF data.

I found a way to do this and then decided that others might want to do the same thing with that film simulation and Bleach Bypass on other X-T models (e.g Classic Negative and Bleach Bypass for X-H1s and X-T2s and Bleach Bypass on X-T3s). Expect disappointments as I tried the same method for my X-T1 but that just didn't work so I believe that the method is probably sensor dependent. (Colors were close-ish but tonal levels were way down.)

Now for the BUT.

I am willing to say what I did but, not in any detail as I do not want to annoy either Fujifilm or Phase One/Capture One. I am just describing a the abilities and use of the Mac Finder.

So, here goes ;-

The executable(s) i.e. Applications on Apple Macintosh OS(s) (macOS) are actually a 'package' containing its executable(s) and all supporting files and executables needed for the application to run correctly. So the App package must contain the data needed to give you the film simulations.

You can use the Mac Finder to look into the Capture One package (Application) and search for the directory that contains the film curve resources.

In that directory find the film simulation curve file that you want AND its' 9 other supporting files that are needed for that film simulation. (The file naming system makes it relatively easy to identifying those 9 supporting files.)

Select and COPY out to somewhere else the 9 supporting files and the curve file.

Keeping the same file name structure change the names of the copied files appropriately to apply to the camera you want them for.

Make a note of the filenames of the newly renamed files before the next step just in case it doesn't work and you want to delete/remove them.

Copy the renamed files back to the directory from which you copied out the original files.

You should now be able to run Capture One and choose that film simulation without editing the EXIF data.

RG

Example of X-H1 and X-T2 using Classic Negative simulation with X-T3 and X-T4 as references. (Un-adjusted RAW files from the DPR comparison tool.)

Classic Negative on X-H1 andX-T2 without EXIF changes

Example of X-H1, X-T2 and X-T3 using Bleach Bypass with X-T4 as reference. (Un-adjusted RAW files from the DPR comparison tool.)

Bleach Bypass on X-H1, X-T2 and X-T3 without EXIF changes

Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow