Excellent lens - Sony FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Erwann Loison Regular Member • Posts: 353
Excellent lens - Sony FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS

This lens is everything such lens should be: sharp, fast (enough)-focusing, well built and affordable.

Sony really nailed it on this one. It sure is a little more expensive than the sigma/tamron/nikon equivalents, although considering the price drop lately and the deals you can get now and then (I got mine for 1890€ brand new with a free 1.4x TC, which is "worth" 600), it definitely is worth its not-so-high price.

That lens is really sharp and doesn't feel too overwhelmed by the A7R IV resolution. I'm sure it's not fully up to the task but the results are still amazing.

AF is fast enough, it is not lighting fast to go from minimum focus distance to infinity and vice versa but that's absolutely not a problem. It's more than fast enough for tracking and doing incremental adjustment. After all it seems to be able to keep up with 20fps on the a9/a9II so...

The internal zoom beside being a nice touch going from 200 to 600 so easily and in such a short rotation is incredibly useful. Not to mention the ring is quite easy to rotate. My pinky needs a considerable effort to do it but any other finger can do it easily.

The focus ring is even smoother and accurate, allowing precise manual focus if needed, which wasn't the case on my previous similar superzoom.

Steadyshot is effective, not particularly great or bad, just effective. After over a year shooting a non-stabilized lens and body anyway, stabilization is nice to have but not a must have for me.

Among the less critical features, my favorite is probably the tripod collar. Sur the foot is not arcaswiss compatible but who really cares about that. A plate or a replacement foot will do just fine. The real goodness here is that the collar rotates smoothly and without any play, no matter the amount of screw untightening. This is something I was going mad at on my previous lenses. It's ridiculous to have a sturdy tripod and gimball if having the collar lose to be able to keep a good level makes the whole camera jiggle. Kudos to sony for this really good tripod collar at this price point.

I was surprised to find out that even on the A7RIV the 1.4x TC is working beautifully with minor IQ degradation. You might want to downsize the resulting image a bit for web display but the combo really works (again unlike the similar offerings from other brands where IQ takes a big hit, albeit it's already not all that great to start with). Even in APS-C mode, I have no complaints at all about the IQ delivered with or without the TC.

As an object, it's beautifully made, it looks nice and sturdy. Its weight is comforting, not feeling like a cheap plastic lens. The lens hood depite plasticy, is well made and rubber-coated on the inside and the outer edge which is a nice touch compared to really cheap full plastic hoods that inspire no confidence at all.

For anyone using sony and want a long lens without breaking the bank, it's a no brainer. I have no experience with the 100-400 so I cannot compare but this 200-600 is sharp, focuses fast enough for most scenarios and is 1500 cheaper than the 100-400. I'm sure there are reasons for this and I couldn't care less.

I never bought a really high-end lens that costs multiple thousands, and all my previous purchases were moderately to hugely disappointing. Not this time, I love this lens, I know its limitations and for the money I see nothing to really complain about.

Erwann Loison's gear list:Erwann Loison's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a7R IV Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +4 more
Sony FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
Lens • Sony FE
Announced: Jun 11, 2019
Erwann Loison's score
Average community score
Sony a7R Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow