Z6 video autofocus macro question...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Station Grey
Station Grey New Member • Posts: 6
Z6 video autofocus macro question...

Hi,

I'm tempted by the Z6 mk1 but have a fairly specific use-case that I haven't seen addressed in any videos or reviews - and boy have I looked!

Picture the scene... I make animated videos using small animal figures. Don't ask, but honestly it's quite normal I don't use stop animation, it's all live. Mostly static figures, but occasionally they move around.

I'm currently using a D750 and 105mm micro and with the limitations of video autofocus and the constraints of depth of field at short distances (a foot or two) I tend to have to keep movement to an absolute minimum or else ensure that movement in strictly in one plane horizontally. If I move anything even a few mm back/forward then I'm out of focus.

What I'm hoping with the Z6 is that I could lock on to an object, like a toy animal's face, and make slow movements that will stay in focus. I do this on my own (obviously!) so I need the autofocus to keep working, not having to hold down a button or anything.

The closest test I've seen worked beautifully at smooth AF, but he was using face-tracking on a human and not at macro distances. Does anyone with a Z6 know if my scenario will work?

TIA

Station Grey's gear list:Station Grey's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +3 more
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow