Just got my r5, LOVE IT. Bought it for general purpose, may end up being my wildlife camera as well.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
AccipiterQ
OP AccipiterQ Forum Member • Posts: 76
Just got my r5, LOVE IT. Bought it for general purpose, may end up being my wildlife camera as well.

KiloHotelphoto wrote:

After six weeks with the R5 I sold my 1DX2 and 5dsr and bought a R6. I shoot 99% wildlife and the animal eye af and tracking are great. I’m still having problems with the R5 getting initial focus when I go from close to far or far to close, it just can’t do it and I have to get it close manually then it works. I haven’t shot the R6 enough to see if it has the same problem.

I’ll miss the build, battery and initial focus capabilities of the 1DX2 but I won’t miss the freight train noise shutter, mirror slap it made. I scared off wildlife many times with it and it was annoying.

The lack of mirror slap is one of the things I noticed as well, I didn't think the difference would be that note-worthy, but I can't imagine going back now. When you say you have trouble with initial focus do you mean with the eye-focus, or just in general?

If it's eye-focus this video has a good way to fix, from 9:30-14:30.  Basically you custom set one of the back buttons to be a regular focus point, then your regular back-button focus button is set to animal-eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nnRqgXu7QI

AccipiterQ's gear list:AccipiterQ's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow