Is the D800 worth it at this price in 2020?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 4,081
Re: Is the D800 worth it at this price in 2020?

"The D800 is like a prototype"
That is absolute bunk. I've been using my D800 professionally for years and it's now my backup camera for my D850. For the price/performance the D800 is a downright steal.
There was a small percentage in the early batches that had an issue with one focus point (the far left one), but the vast majority were unaffected and it was easy to test to see if one's sample had that issue. Frankly I preferred the AA filter on the D800 over the 800E and later for many reasons, which is one of the reasons why I kept my D800.  Yes, the D810 is an improvement, and I'd buy a D810 over a D800, but the differences really are marginal compared to a D850 which is a major leap over either the D800/E/810.

Regards,
MIke

-- hide signature --

The one thing everyone can agree on is that film photography has its negatives. It even has its positives and internegatives.

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow