Difficult Questions for Top Experts Only!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Astrozoid
OP Astrozoid Contributing Member • Posts: 846
Re: Difficult Experts Only !

kenw wrote:

Astrozoid wrote:

Eric Fossum wrote:

I guess you might be referring to me. I don't think I misread any intentions earlier. And, when I read the 'Jerry the Astrozoid' comments above, they seem just mean-spirited and worthy of being banned from this forum.

I'm not surprised that you would want me banned because I respect your work, but not you personally.

I was warned privately off list not to mention the word "CCD" in your presence. I didn't realize at the time you had invented the CMOS chip. I don't know why you would not approve of even the mention of a CCD, since it is a simple historical fact in "Photographic Science and Technology". But man, they were right about you. As soon as I mentioned CCD in historical context in another thread, you went off on me.

I came here in good faith.

I asked serious questions.

I attempted to make them a little bit light hearted with self-referential humor.

I was insulted and belittled.

So, don't worry, I won't be posting here again because of the narrowmindedness and intolerance of questions not approved by the King of this forum.

BUT, most importantly, I won't ask any more questions here because it's a waste of time. The forum is not fulfilling it's function, the top expert mocks you, doesn't answer your questions, and posts irrelevant nonesense quotes. He'd be wanting to band me if I had posted that crap.

IF the moderators feel the questions were inappropriate for the forum, let them tell me that.

And, if we are talking about forum etiquette, Eric Fossom posted 4 times to my thread with answers that were completely irrelevant to the question. Why do the moderators permit that? Let me guess, Eric is the king, and the king does what he wants. I get it.

Last question for the moderators: even though I know you won't answer:

If *I* had posted the following to a serious, legitimate question, would *I* be banned for off-topic insults?

The posts below are Eric Fossom's learned wisdom on the questions of the limits of scientific knowledge that he posted to my thread.

Very helpful. Why is this tolerated?

=========================================================

THE REALMS OF GNAWING INNER TREPIDATIONS

THE SIRENS OF MERELY PEDESTRIAN APPROPRIATIONS ...

From ignorance our comfort flows, the only wretched are the wise.
- Matthew Prior

Where ignorance is bliss, ‘tis folly to be wise.
- Thomas Gray

... WITHIN THE ROTE MIDDLE REALMS OF REGURGITATION.

THE REALMS OF UNFETTERED GLOBAL BLOVIATIONS

... in many cases, incompetence does not leave people disoriented, perplexed, or cautious. Instead, the incompetent are often blessed with an inappropriate confidence, buoyed by something that feels to them like knowledge. ... In 1999, in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, my then graduate student Justin Kruger and I published a paper that documented how, in many areas of life, incompetent people do not recognize - scratch that, cannot recognize - just how incompetent they are, a phenomenon that has come to be known as the Dunning-Kruger effect. Logic itself almost demands this lack of self-insight: For poor performers to recognize their ineptitude would require them to possess the very expertise they lack. ...

... the problem of unrecognized ignorance is one that visits us all. ...

... We are unbridled pattern recognizers and profligate theorizers. Often, our theories are good enough to get us through the day ...

... We import knowledge from appropriate settings into ones where it is inappropriate.

"We Are All Confident Idiots - The trouble with ignorance is that it feels so much like expertise. A leading researcher on the psychology of human wrongness sets us straight. "; David Dunning, Pacific Standard (2014, updated in 2017)

The sensitivity of man to trifles, and his insensibility to great things, indicates a strange inversion.

Learning, the destroyer of arrogance, begets arrogance in fools; even as light, that illuminates the eye, makes owls blind.

Knowledge is a recognition of something absent; it is a salutation, not an embrace.

The truth, my friends, is not eloquent, except unspoken; its vast shadow lends eloquence to our sparks of thought as they die into it.

To love the truth is to refuse to let oneself be saddened by it.

The scholar seeks, the artist finds.

Get a grip, seriously...

Oh, and while you are at it take a second to actually attribute posts correctly. Everything you quoted above and claimed was posted by Eric Fossum wasn’t posted by Eric Fossum.

You don’t seem to even know who you are talking to anymore.

Then I deeply apologize to Mr. Fossom.

Jerry

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow