100-400 S lens with TC 1.4 or 2.0 working on Z6?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,204
Re: 100-400 S lens with TC 1.4 or 2.0 working on Z6?

Straz wrote:

For what it's worth, the 70-200mm F2.8 already works quite well with the TC 2.0 for an effective 140-400mm F5.6.

Back in the day, a 2.0 TC was simply a poor man's way of getting extra focal length. I was never impressed with anything beyond 1.4 X. The new Z lens and 2 X combo has changed my mind on that. I've been impressed with images I've seen.

Since I already own that combo, I don't expect to be interested in another longer zoom.

One thing I did learn yesterday is that the 24-200mm F4-6.3 travel zoom, when used at 200mm to take golden hour photos of birds has trouble with fast-movers at ASA 64 on my Z7, so I would expect the same to be true of any other combination of long focal length and dim F-stop.

I barely had time to use my 24-200 before shipping my Z7 to Nikon. I'm not surprised that it might be sluggish at lower light levels. I hope the Z7 II might be helpful under similar conditions, but that remains to be seen. You're showing your age when you speak of ASA. 

-- hide signature --

Steve

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow