Help me calculate/understand the physics of aperture, DOF and BG blur -

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Darren James New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Help me calculate/understand the physics of aperture, DOF and BG blur -

Hi,

Can you elaborate? I am not sure what you are specifically asking.

J A C S wrote:

Darren James wrote:

Hi Bill,

Indeed, the entrance and exit pupils have different virtual diameters, which is easy to experience by looking at both ends of a lens.

Every source I have read references the entrance pupil and distance to the exact external plane in focus (I simplified this as referencing distance to subject). This seems to be a possible knowledge gap for me, as I am taking these sources at their face value which may be a mistake.

In that same spirit: Can you provide me an independent source that is not your own website for your correction about exit pupil being the important factor for depth of field as opposed to entrance pupil? I don’t mean to cause offence, but as I don’t know you or your website in any great detail I don’t have any cause to prioritize your information over any other source. I hope you understand.

How do you measure the importance of a certain factor? You can have a formula that involves it and a formula that does not, both correct. In fact, there was a link earlier with more than two formulas.

Darren James's gear list:Darren James's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S33 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon 1 V2 Canon EOS 70D +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow