Mac Mini upgrade on a budget

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP rb61 Regular Member • Posts: 390
Re: More info please.

Jacques Cornell wrote:

rb61 wrote:

I have a Mid 2011 Mac Mini

I would like to find something used that could increase speed by approximately 50% for image editing programs.

Time for something newer and I expect 10 years is over its life expectancy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm confused. Do you want a newer Mac, or some kind of upgrade to the one you have? What is your budget? And, what hardware do you have now for storing & backing up your photos?

In my view, by far the most bang for your buck these days is a new M1 Mac mini. If money is tight, the $699 base model with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD will amaze you as long as you're not flogging huge layered files in Photoshop. Add a $100 1TB external SSD to store your photos and a 2TB hard drive to back it up and Time Machine your boot drive.

FWIW, my new $999 M1 MacBook Air with 8GB RAM & 256GB SSD is faster than my fire-breathing 8-core 3.3GHz 2013 Mac Pro with 64GB RAM and D500 GPU.

Would this be a significant upgrade? Local CraigsList

This Mac Mini is from 2012 has an 2.6 GHz Intel i7 with four cores, It has the the maximum RAM of 16 GB and a 500 GB very fast Solid State Disk.

rb61's gear list:rb61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Venus Laowa 17mm F1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow