How many megapixels are compressed xt2 raf files?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
boogisha
boogisha Senior Member • Posts: 2,148
Re: How many megapixels are X-T2 RAF files? 6000x4000, with embedded 1920x1280 preview JPEG

EOS GUY wrote:

In faststone image viewer my xt2 lossless compressed files read only 2.46 MP.

But if I export them from c1 to cs6 they read in 'image size' as 4000 pixels by 6000 pixels which is 24mp.

Me not understand ;P

I guess what FastStone shows you when you open RAF file is its embedded JPEG preview instead, being on the smaller side (as reported, 1920x1280).

When you open RAW file in a RAW editor (as C1), you get to see actual RAW file being "developed" at its full resolution (6000x4000), and that is what you get to export, too.

p.s. Even (some?) RAW editors tend you show you JPEG preview image first, until RAW data is being processed in the background and ready for showing. Depending on how good editor is in replicating in-camera RAW to JPEG engine (but what your default editor settings are, too), you may see (much) more or less difference in what JPEG preview was showing and what actually processed RAW file shows once it appears.

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow