17-70mm lens (Pentax or Tamron advice please)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
MaciekPruski Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: 17-70mm lens (Pentax or Tamron advice please)

I have the Pentax 17-70 f4 and also had the Tamron 17-50 f 2.8.

I'm not really a huge fan of either one, I much prefer primes at shorter focal lengths.

However, If you're looking at these lenses, here's my take:

the Tamron is better for bokeh and shallow DoF and seems sharper at f4, also it works on Full frame, while the 17-70 is APSC and will go to crop mode on FF.

The 17-70 is a nice walkaround lens and I do use the longer end on it quite a lot. It's the lens that I decided to keep from these two. However, it's not great for bokeh, I never use it wide open because the photos just lack punch, sharpness and contrast.  The sweet spot is when you stop down to around f7, at these apertures it can give very pleasing results. I like the colors more on the Pentax lens.

As far as build quality, the Pentax is a bit fragile, I had an SDM failure on mine and had it replaced under warranty. The Tamron feels sturdier.

MaciekPruski's gear list:MaciekPruski's gear list
Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow