Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Tazz93
OP Tazz93 Senior Member • Posts: 2,620
Re: R5 Buffer Clearing

pawn wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

Steve W wrote:

Tazz93 wrote:

When I first got the camera I checked the buffer and it was able to clear the buffer from the CFexpress card in under 10 seconds (with the Sony Tough 128GB). Now with both of my cards (Sony Tough 128GB and Lexar 128GB), it takes the same time as the UHS-II cards, which is roughly 20 seconds. I can see why Canon might have throttled it down, but I'm curious if others are seeing the same performance drop.

Personally, I'm not sure if it just my camera or if one of the recent firmware updates have altered it.

Have you set up your R5 to write the same image to both card simultaneously? If so that is probably it because with will write the both at the same time a the speed of the slowest card. Also what is the guaranteed write speed of the UHS-II cared ( it is UHS-II I hope and a fast one) Can you provide more specific information on your UHS card?

That's with only one card in the camera, but very good idea. That easily could have been the issue. That said, don't get sidetracked on the SD card, it works wonderful, and 20 seconds to clear the buffer on an SD card is quite good.

The CFexpress cards should be around 6 second to clear. I think I might have been a little vague before, but the problem is with the two CFexpress cards. Neither is able to clear the buffer as quickly as before.

See the article below for reference on a speed test of the various cards.

https://petapixel.com/2020/09/22/cfexpress-a-real-world-performance-comparison/

Can you repeat the buffer clearing issue after formatting the CFExpress card?

Yes, that is whether its formatted ("Low" or normal). Both cards gives nearly identical results.

I reached out to Canon and they said they would look in to it but they wanted me to check and see if the firmware may have changed  some settings like DP Raw which would complicate things. I checked and found nothing out of the ordinary.

-- hide signature --

Mike Jackson - Wildlife Photography Enthusiast
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mj_flickr/

Tazz93's gear list:Tazz93's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow