Sony A7III SLOG and BIF question

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
alpshiker Contributing Member • Posts: 563
Sony A7III SLOG and BIF question

As a newbie, may I ask you some simple tips on what camera settings and processing workflow you find works well for taking birds and wildlife in general with long lenses. In my straight footage taken with no special care with the XAVC-S settings, BIF are extremely nervous and they display 3 pairs of wings . I guess that the automatic shutter speed was too high. Which brings the need for a ND filter. OK I have a 1,5 to 5 filter now, but when I set the camera to S-LOG, ISO rises to 800 ISO, which soon brings the need for stacking a second ND filter or buy a stronger one. Preserving a shallow DOF becomes very difficult in bright light. The display has also very low contrast with those filters on, which makes focussing difficult. Ok that's a lot of stuff to treat and I better stop here for now. But as you can see, even if I can say that photography has not many secrets for me, filming with those cameras is a completely new field that I need to clear up and I'd be grateful to you for some tips.

alpshiker's gear list:alpshiker's gear list
Sony a7R II
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow