Canon RF 24-105/F4 versus RF 24-240/F4-6.3?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 5,820
To me ...

RobDMB wrote:

All:

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the Canon RF 24-105/F4 versus the RF 24-240/F4-6.3. Obviously the latter is a superzoom and a bit slower. However, I currently have the RF24-105 and am somewhat tempted to trade is for the 24-240 for increased versatility as a travel/walk around lens. Thought being, neither are particularly fast for indoor use but the superzoom gives so much extra range. However, would I be given up significant image quality (sharpness, etc) of with the non-L lens?

For reference, I typically shoot outdoor lanscape/family/dogs. Other lenses I own for are the RF 15-35/2.8 which I would use for outdoor landscapes often and the RF35/1.8 which could give some increased light indoors. If I went that route maybe I'd consider picking up another prime for indoor/portrait.

Anyone else considered such a switch? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

To me the 24-105 4L seems to straddle that line where I'd want a zoom for flexibility vs a prime for IQ and speed. It's not quite as good or fast as most primes are going to be in the overlapping range, but it's close enough and f4 works for a good range of uses.

I don't own the 24-240, so I'll have to comment based on what I've read (and handling one at a store), but it seems to be just on the other side of that line where I'd be more likely to want to carry along a prime or 2 to supplement it, thus taking away some of its advantage.

2 different lenses for different uses. I wouldn't mind owning one, but I would not give up my 24-105 for one, but that's just me.

I actually wish Canon had gone with a bit less FL range and maybe settled for 7.1 on the long end and gotten the size down a bit. It's a pretty big lens (especially on a RP) and one reason to use such a lens is to have it with you at all times. The size doesn't help that. Look at Tamron's 28-200 and Nikon's 24-200 for an idea how to shrink a superzoom down to a more manageable size. Of course you give up something, but I like the tradeoffs on those lenses better.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow