What do you do with your photos?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,882
Re: What do you do with your photos?

I keep most on my hard drive, like you do. Back them up on an external hard drive.

I have a Sony digital photo frame that I hung on the wall and which I just love; it is filled with family pictures. It can cycle through almost an infinity of pictures, since the display is only 800x600. Don't get distracted by the specification though. It was the biggest and best one that I could afford at the time. It has a built-in clock and timer, so that I can program it to turn on and display only during certain times of the day. Sometimes, I'll stop while walking by and just watch it for a few minutes. This thread reminds me that I haven't put anything new on it for probably a year.

Lately, I've been sharing my photos (mostly family again) with the family in the form of prints. They can enjoy them for awhile and throw them out or maybe they will end up in a shoebox, reviewed by the younger members of the family 50 years from now. Either way is fine with me; I'm just happy people will be enjoying them.

For my own viewing pleasure, I have a plan. I got an HP printer and signed on for their Instant Ink program, so printing is pretty inexpensive now. I bought a bunch of archival binder sleeves of different sizes: 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10. I pay per page printed, not by size or type. (color, B&W, photo or print) So I can make 8x10s of my favorites and put them in a binder and just leave it out. I plan to just get one or two of those semi-rigid plastic ones. This is where I'm more likely to print some of my arty shots. When I'm done with them, I'll put them in a box or envelope and the family can enjoy them, decades from now. (or sooner, if COVID gets me!) If I'm really sick of them and no one is interested, I can throw them out. I'm sentimental though, and my daughter is too.

I'm going through a huge stack of family prints now, scanning them for posterity. It's nice to have prints, as not everyone will want to be bothered to properly keep them electronically and the prints can still be enjoyed without a projector or any kind of device.

By the way, this topic comes up from time to time. Last time it came up that I can remember, I thought to bookmark the thread, as there are some great ideas within: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63310042

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hoffer
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily DPR's

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow