Help with Aperture priority

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP tim1970 Regular Member • Posts: 123
Re: Help with Aperture priority

William Loney wrote:

tim1970 wrote:

I currently own an X-T4 and X-E3. For all of my professional work I shoot in full manual, since I use off camera flash. So, when it comes to my non professional work such as family,events, travel, etc, I have always just kept it in full manual because that is what I am most comfortable with.

However, recently I have noticed at family events I have missed some shots because I was adjusting my shutter speed to get a good exposure. Since all I am doing when not using flash is just "centering my needle" I figure I should start using Aperture priority and letting the camera figure out my SS. For people who do this, do you just pick certain ISO based on the general ambient light, or do you use auto ISO? If you use auto ISO and pick a minimum shutter speed, will the camera always try and use the lowest possible ISO? Also, I have a very nice exposure compensation dial that is rendered useless in full manual, so that should help me some also I would think.

Having always shot in full manual it will be hard for me to give up control of 1 setting (SS), much less a 2nd setting (ISO). Any advice or tips will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey, if you're a (mostly) fully manual guy like me, shooting in A is going to be a breeze!

Here's what I do:

-guesstimate the ISO. (I'm thinking, with your experience, you should be pretty good at this!)

-adjust your aperture accordingly, to make sure you have a SS to give you what you want.

-I actually prefer centre weighted metering here, because that's usually where the point of interest in the frame is, and also so that I won't have any peripheral light biasing my exposure.

-twist the exp. comp. dial as needed.

-Also, exposure lock (expose, lock, re-compose) is your friend!

I also use the EVF exclusively. No need to look at the metering, and if you've got a satisfactory SS, no need to look at that either. Whatyouseeiswhatyouget!

That's my way of doing it; shooting A, yet keeping as much control of the camera as you can.

It may sound like a lot, but once you try it a couple of times, you'll be doing it much faster than I can type out howto do it!

This sounds like what I will try.  I do feel like I would be very good at estimating what ISO would be required given my chosen aperture and general area I would want my shutter speed.  Plus I will know if lighting conditions change drastically (like going from inside to outside) and will be able to quickly adjust.

Center weighted metering will probably be what I use, since that is what I am using now in manual to center my needle, and with the EVF I can see what the exposure would like like and adjust the exp. comp. dial as needed.

Thanks for the help.

tim1970's gear list:tim1970's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow