Question about tilt-shift adapting a normal lens.

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 11,663
Re: I should add

michaeladawson wrote:

I use full frame lenses on my Fuji using the Kipon tilt-shift adapter. I believe they make a shift only adapter that is cheaper if shift is all you want.

Here's a bit of advice when selecting a lens. Be aware that you will not get automated lens corrections when you attach a lens using these adapters. On top of that, when you shift a lens you cannot even correctly apply a manual lens correction profile since the distortion shifts when the lens is shifted.

I suppose this is one reason dedicated tilt shift lenses are so expensive. The optics have to be designed for almost zero distortion. So when adapting a full frame lens for shift purposes you need to use a lens with low distortion.

When you tilt a lens, the relationship between the focal plane and image plane change - that is they are not longer parallel. That is known as the Scheimpflug principle. Any lens distortions will be magnified because of this when the lens is tilted.  This is particularly true for field curvature.  View camera lenses (and tilt shift lenses) are expensive because not only do they need a large image circle but they also require minimal field curvature.

-- hide signature --

_____
"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow