Question about tilt-shift adapting a normal lens.

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,890
I should add

I use full frame lenses on my Fuji using the Kipon tilt-shift adapter.  I believe they make a shift only adapter that is cheaper if shift is all you want.

Here's a bit of advice when selecting a lens.  Be aware that you will not get automated lens corrections when you attach a lens using these adapters.  On top of that, when you shift a lens you cannot even correctly apply a manual lens correction profile since the distortion shifts when the lens is shifted.

I suppose this is one reason dedicated tilt shift lenses are so expensive.  The optics have to be designed for almost zero distortion.  So when adapting a full frame lens for shift purposes you need to use a lens with low distortion.

I have used a Samyang 14mm lens with shift.  That's a 21mm FOV lens on APS-C.  Good FOV for buildings in a city setting.  I have used it inside churches.  The issue with the Samyang is a high level of mustache type distortion.  This is virtually impossible to get rid of entirely when you shift the lens.  Not a problem if you are photographing nature landscapes.  But not good for architecture.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +34 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow