Is the D800 worth it at this price in 2020?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 17,251
Re: Is the D800 worth it at this price in 2020?

Only you can say if something is 'worth it', regardless of price.

I've got the D800e, D810 and D850.   The D800e sits on the shelf now, while the other two each get a shoulder strap.  But I used it for years.

You sort of need to compare it to its replacements, and to other cameras available around the same price.   For the same price, nothing else seems likely to come close.

The D800e is kind of a D810 that isn't quite finished.   There were a bunch of little individual improvements that added up to more than the sum of the parts.  Almost all of those were body improvements/shutter improvements.  The images coming from the D800e and D810 are mostly indistinguishable (and close to the D850).   Apart from video (which I don't use), the only difference in sensor performance I can see is that the ISO range has been expanded.   The base ISO of the D810 is 64, and the D800 is 100.  (D810 also goes past ISO 6400 natively).   Base ISO files on the D8xx series are just some beautiful files to process - there is tremendous dynamic range to play with.

The main difference between D800 and later versions basically comes down to the body being 'snappier'.  Shoots faster, sounds less clunky.  And while it sounds like nothing on paper, the difference between shooting 4fps (D800) and 5fps (D810) is something you can feel.   The D810 also has Group AF where the D800e does not, and that lends itself more to things like flying birds.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"I miss the days when I was nostalgic."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow