Is 17-35mm f2.8 Nikon still good?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Bernard Delley Senior Member • Posts: 1,618
Re: Nikon site good because of MTF

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Bernard Delley wrote:

Nikon's international site is valuable because it shows their MTF expectations for a lens in their tech specs. On the wide end of the 17-35mm, a dramatic drop of MTF at 10 c/mm is to be expected in the outer part of the image (radius=21.6mm). and of course more drop at 30 c/mm. For sagittal it ends a zero contrast in the corner. This is really not great, especially if they say so themselves.

Nikon MTF information is limitation to wide open - most lenses with poor corner MTF wide open improve dramatically by landscape apertures such as f8 & f11.

The lens was introduced in 1998.

I consider it naive to expect last centuries wide open corner MTF - other than for long telephotos - to match more recent optical designs.

For an appalling (by my standards) MTF have a look at Nikon's figures for the 50mm f1.4 D.

My AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G did not become satisfactory by f/8, a lemon.

I never owned the 17-55 - but assume it is fine (as most lenses are) around f8-11.

I think you mean the OP's questioned AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8D lens here.  I am not confident that it will improve really much.  Kenster63 in the much liked post with the  image at f/16  does not show convincing sharpness, even at its small presentation size of 1504 x 1004.

Bernard Delley's gear list:Bernard Delley's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow