R5 growing pains

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
John Sheehy Forum Pro • Posts: 24,183
Re: R5 growing pains

KatManDEW wrote:

Haven't had much chance to use my R5 since I got it a few weeks ago. Last week I photographed my first bird in flight with the R5. I'm very used to birds in flight with my 200-400 and my 7D2 and 5D3 and 5D4. I was shocked by the blackout time in the view finder with the R5. Is there something I can change to minimize that? I was using mechanical shutter.

A mechanical shutter always needs blackout time, to setup and reset the curtains for each frame.  Electronic curtains can be working on more than one frame at a time.

Full electronic shutter only gives one short black pulse at the beginning of a burst, and then just slows down a little in the EVF, but still better quality than a lot of older EVF or Live View systems.  Caveats are more post-gain noise (with a little bit of fine horizontal banding), possible noticeable jello/shearing for very fast objects or pans, and horizontal color/exposure banding from strobing lights.

Also shot some video with it last week. Shot the same event with the R5 and my Mavic 2 Pro drone. 4k video with both, 29.97 FPS. 128 GB cards in both. Halfway thru the event the card in the R5 was full. The Mavic kept recording for the whole show.

There are a few quality parameters that greatly affect the bandwidth of 4K video, and Your Mavic Pro might be using a lot more compression than even the lowest quality possible with the R5 (I have no idea, but that's a possibility).

My computer struggles hard to play the 4k R5 video. It plays a few seconds and then chews at the hard drive, and then plays a few more seconds. The computer has no problem with the 4k Mavic videos. It's an older core i7. 3 Ghz, 48 GB memory. Nvidia Quadro 4000 video card.

What are your 4K video quality options?  With the highest qualities of video, unpacking compression itself should be faster, but the more demand there is on storage transfer speed.  Perhaps until you get a system that can handle the high-Q video better, you can make copies of your quality videos at quality and size per second like your Mavic Pro, running that in batch in the background.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow