Experimenting with Adobe RGB Colour Space for printing

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
New to DSC-World Junior Member • Posts: 32
Experimenting with Adobe RGB Colour Space for printing

I am bringing a new focus to printing in my photography with  the purchase of a Canon Pro-4100. I have seen a variety of opinions on the value of Adobe RGB and Adobe Pro RBG colour spaces  over sRGB with respect to printing, and realise that to resolve the issue for myself, I need to give Adobe RGB a try. Up until now my photos have lived on monitors, and so I have used sRGB.

I had a few questions to make sure I understand the issues involved in trying out the use of a new Colour Space when everything I have done til now resides in sRGB. Thanks very much for any thoughts on this!

• I shoot only in Raw, which I understand is "Colour Space agnostic." Even though my camera is set for sRGB default, am I correct that I have the option to go back to the raw images (I shoot mostly pans) and re-process them (Photoshop) in Adobe RGB or Adobe Pro? I'm not so clear how other software I use (PTGUI, Photomatix, DxO Photolab, Helicon) would deal with this?
  • Going forward, if I want to deal with some edited TIFFS that are in sRGB and others in Adobe RGB, can I just embed the Colour Space in the image in Photoshop? (Again, not clear how other software would deal with different colour spaces).
  • Am I correct that I would need separate calibrated profiles for the monitor (BenQ SW271) for sRGB and Adobe RGB?

I'm not planning on dithering over this forever, and I recognise plumping for one or the other Colour Space is likely to make sense, but I have a lot of time invested in sRGB images (including the post processing, which I gather I would have to redo if I wanted to go back to the Raw component images and process them in the Adobe RGB space).

So I'm trying to understand what it would take, during this transition period, to be dealing with images in different Colour Spaces in my workflow.

Thanks very much for any guidance!

Best regards,

Nathan

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow