R5 growing pains

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris_Chapterten Regular Member • Posts: 201
Re: R5 growing pains

frostybe3r wrote:

Chris_Chapterten wrote:

frostybe3r wrote:

KatManDEW wrote:

Haven't had much chance to use my R5 since I got it a few weeks ago. Last week I photographed my first bird in flight with the R5. I'm very used to birds in flight with my 200-400 and my 7D2 and 5D3 and 5D4. I was shocked by the blackout time in the view finder with the R5. Is there something I can change to minimize that? I was using mechanical shutter.

Also shot some video with it last week. Shot the same event with the R5 and my Mavic 2 Pro drone. 4k video with both, 29.97 FPS. 128 GB cards in both. Halfway thru the event the card in the R5 was full. The Mavic kept recording for the whole show.

My computer struggles hard to play the 4k R5 video. It plays a few seconds and then chews at the hard drive, and then plays a few more seconds. The computer has no problem with the 4k Mavic videos. It's an older core i7. 3 Ghz, 48 GB memory. Nvidia Quadro 4000 video card.

You're going to need a significantly better computer than that for playing back the footage in real time, also the R5 records at a significantly higher bitrate than your drone.

You'll want a 3090 ideally.

A 3090 costs more than a Mac Mini and doesn’t have hardware acceleration for h.265 10bit 4:2:2 video files that the R5 needs..

Oh that's cute, a mac. Btw my pc doesn't stutter at all with any R5 video file

That’s great, I’m happy for you. I am also a PC user. But for $699 starting price the Mac is still the cheapest way to get into editing h.265 10bit 4:2:2 R5 files for someone on a budget.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow