Difficult Questions for Top Experts Only!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Astrozoid
OP Astrozoid Contributing Member • Posts: 846
Answering my own questions

Here, I'm going to answer my own questions as I expect other serious answers, like 57even's, to be.

What specific technical concepts do you not know about photography?

I don't understand:

• The tech responsible for the increase in FWC in the last 20 years.
  • The tech responsible for the increase in QE in the last 20 years.
  • The tech responsible for changes in chip architecture in the last 20 years.
  • Microlens vignetting
  • Do lens manufacturers now consider software corrections part of hardware design?
  • What are the secrets of proprietary camera manufacturer's "massaging" of raw data before writing to file, such as scaling, clipping, highlight compression/look-up tables?
  • What is the comparative contribution of hardware dark-signal suppression with true noise reduction compared to software programing reduction of noise artifacts such as hot pixels through algorithms that don't prevent actual dark-signal noise reduction.
  • How much has dark signal suppression actually, quantitatively contributed to SNR in the last 20 years.
  • Are we at the technical limits of full-frame sensors in terms of full-well capacity and read noise?
  • What else REALLY matters in terms of SNR and hardware?
  • And, of course, for the pedants, there are LOTS of other things I am sure I don't know that escape me in the moment.

What specific technical concepts do you not understand about photography?

What I don't understand:

• Quantum noise. And, please, don't try to explain it to me. If you think you understand anything related to anything "quantum" please see Richard Feynman "if you think you understand quantum mechanics, then you don't." Are you smarter than Richard Feynman? No, I can safely say you are not.
  • Asymptotes.
  • Is QE or low RN more important for my personal (not YOUR) extremely low-light (what is the magnitude of the Integrated Flux Nebulae around M81 and M82), long-exposure astrophotography?
  • How to calculate how much PRNU and DSNU effects ultimate SNR considering my limitations in mathematics?

How good of an automobile driver do you "think" you are, compared to how good you really are?

99/100 when I was younger. Now, realizing the slowing of down of physical reflexes and the vision reduction due to my cataracts, I would say my "OPINION" of my driving skill is 90/100. However, realizing the importance of confirmation bias, and how far I truly am from "Dunning-Kruger", I would say 75/100 is more realistic if you count no tickets or accidents in 50 years of driving as evidence.

What percent of your thinking is wrong because of confirmation bias?

My "Opinion" is that, even being aware of cognitive bias, my split is 75/25.

In reality, I am sure it is 90% wrong.

Jerry

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow