Difficult Questions for Top Experts Only!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Astrozoid
OP Astrozoid Contributing Member • Posts: 846
Re: Difficult Experts Only !

Detail Man wrote:

57even wrote:

... imposter syndrome, which I guess is the opposite of Dunning-Kruger syndrome.

The impostor cycle begins with an achievement-related task. An example of an achievement related task could be an exercise that was assigned through work or school. Once one has received an assignment, feelings of anxiety, self-doubt, and worry immediately follow.

THE REALMS OF INNER TREPIDATIONS

SIRENS OF MERELY PEDESTRIAN APPROPRIATIONS ...

From ignorance our comfort flows, the only wretched are the wise.
- Matthew Prior

Where ignorance is bliss, ‘tis folly to be wise.
- Thomas Gray

... IN THE ROTE MIDDLE REALMS OF REGURGITATIONS

THE REALMS OF GLOBAL BLOVIATIONS

... in many cases, incompetence does not leave people disoriented, perplexed, or cautious. Instead, the incompetent are often blessed with an inappropriate confidence, buoyed by something that feels to them like knowledge. ... In 1999, in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, my then graduate student Justin Kruger and I published a paper that documented how, in many areas of life, incompetent people do not recognize - scratch that, cannot recognize - just how incompetent they are, a phenomenon that has come to be known as the Dunning-Kruger effect. Logic itself almost demands this lack of self-insight: For poor performers to recognize their ineptitude would require them to possess the very expertise they lack.

"We Are All Confident Idiots - The trouble with ignorance is that it feels so much like expertise. A leading researcher on the psychology of human wrongness sets us straight. "; David Dunning, Pacific Standard (2014, updated in 2017)

Only egomanics can not, or will not, answer truthfully what they do not know about their area of expertise.

No, egomaniacs is not the precise term. Someone could have, say, literally invented the CMOS, as credited in Wikipedia no less, and still have to belittle those who admittedly know less than they do by mocking something that was, obviously, meant to be a self-deprecating attempt at humor "like I'm a 5 year old" and then posting QED like that was a really deep comment. But I forgive you because I have aspergers also.

The first two questions that I asked were, objectively, deep. What are the limits of expertise knowledge. If you don't get that, maybe you are not as smart as you think you are.

The second two were more lighthearted, but to remind everyone that they are probably not as wonderful as they think they are.

You may not consider the first two questions worth of consideration because you are an "expert". And, maybe, you know a hell of a lot, but are are so full of yourself that you won't publicly admit you don't know everything and there are limits to your knowledge.

See Gödel please, Mr. "deep quotes "with "REALMS OF GLOBAL BLOVIATIONS".

There are only three most plausible reasons for an "expert" not to answer the first two questions.

1. They are not smart enough, or too full of themselves, to admit they don't know everything.

2. They don't admit to the seriousness of the question because they belittle the questioner with judgements about their worth.

3. This is a stupid question, so why are they posting and wasting everyones time in the thread?

Jerry

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow