Loving my Nikon Z50 After Almost 3 Months (Pics)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
larrytusaz Senior Member • Posts: 2,664
Loving my Nikon Z50 After Almost 3 Months (Pics)

I previously shot with Olympus E-M10 II with Panasonic 12-32. Honestly I liked that camera a lot, but I just couldn't get over that Olympus was STILL using the same sensor after seemingly 24 years (though it's not a TERRIBLE sensor just not as good as the newer ones), I wanted my Nikon D3300's sensor in there then it would've been perfect, I thought. Also, I have shot Nikon a lot in the past & thus am familiar with the camera as well as the Nikon Capture NX-D software.

The Z50 was what I've been wanting for a good while, back when I had the Sony A6000 prior to the Olympus. Now here it was, but it was $1000. Well last Sept I found one for $725 with the 16-50Z, so i grabbed it.

I love this thing. D500/D7500 image quality in a small package, with a GOOD 16-50? That's what I've been looking for all long.

Here are some shots.

(1) Took this today at a local lake, straight JPEG

{20201201_180758_ooc_z50 }

(2) Another one, same thing

{20201201_180900_ooc_z50}

(3) Took this one of my daughter shortly after getting the FTZ so my 50mm 1.8G could work with it. I love how the eyes are sharp without me having to painstakingly select an AF point on her eyeball or, worse, do the "focus & recompose" hit or miss dance

20190920_115812_rj_b_z50_nc}

(4) I took this one about 2 weeks ago, my daughter had band photos taken at school--they took group shots but neglected to take individual ones of her, so I did it myself.

20201114_161520_1_dj_b_lr5_z50

Honestly, I need to get out and take MORE photos, this isn't much for 3 months. I have what is arguably my best camera ever. I'd even put it above my Nikon D600 I had for a short while 1½-2 years ago (Dec 2018-June 2019). I've found that I really prefer mirrorless for its size, WYSIWYG viewfinder (plus the ability to playback images through the EVF and SEE them in daylight) and ease of AF focusing in portraits.

The D600 was AWFUL in the case of the latter--I did get some good portraits, but it was a PAIN. Other Nikon DSLRs were better, but none were as good as when I had my Sony A6000--but then that body had an inferior kit lens & you had to spend a TON to get a good landscape zoom lens. The Olympus was fine, but the sensor was older & I just couldn't get over that, even if it gave good results. What I wanted--the image quality of my Nikon D3300 but with the mirrorless body form. What took Nikon so long to do it?

They finally did, and I love my Z50. Next step--upgrading the 50mm 1.8 & FTZ to the 50mm 1.8 Z.

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D3300 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow