Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Raymond L
Raymond L Regular Member • Posts: 265
Re: Bought a new Z6 and I am struggling. Please Help.

whatamIdoingwrong wrote:

jthomas39 wrote:

When my Z6 was new, I tried the Auto setting on the dial. It often picked non-optimal settings, and I didn't know why. I quit trying it pretty soon. The Z cameras have so much control and ability, so I think it's good to learn Aperture and/or Shutter Priority as the usual modes (and then Manual mode for difficult situations). It's a learning curve, but I shot a bunch of test images and got to the point where I know right away what I want to set.

This older post I made about object tracking along with face/eye detection might help you. And I have a U1 dial setting for handing the camera to people not familiar with it, with simple auto settings.

Object and Face detect settings

I normally shoot static scenes, not moving kids. So I usually use AF-S and Aperture mode. Moving the mode dial two clicks to U3 puts me in tracking mode, and doesn't affect my usual settings when I switch back to Aperture later. I like it.

The object tracking works great! Get the white box on the subject, hold the autofocus button (usually a half press of the shutter) and it follows the subject all over the image area. Easy and effective.

After all the replies, this was pretty much my conclusion about seeing the U1 and U2 up. I'm going to spend some time this weekend setting these things up based on a combo of videos/suggestions I have been given.

Thank you for the pointers.

Look forward to seeing you again, when you register your account as "iamdoingitrightnow".

All the best.

Raymond L's gear list:Raymond L's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Leica M9 Nikon D800 Sony a7R II +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow