Hoka Hey
OP Hoka Hey Senior Member • Posts: 2,350
Re: Best NR software for High ISO on R5

R2D2 wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

I like Topaz DeNoise AI.

R2

Would you mind sharing your workflow with topaz denoise AI? I’m trying not decide where is the best place to do the NR, at the beginning or end or somewhere in the middle??? Do you use denoise for sharpening as well?

Thanks

Thanks for sharing your workflow R2.

I don’t set any NR or sharpening in-camera. I open my RAWs in DPP and get the major adjustments as close as possible (no NR or sharpening tho). DLO if needed. Convert to 16-bit TIFFs.

If I recall correctly, you use DPP rather than LR/ACR because you prefer the color profiles. Is that it or are there other significant things that you prefer in DPP?

Open in Photoshop and finish editing. Save as a PSD “master.” Then apply NR (ie Topaz DeNoise), but vary opacity. The key to a good balance between NR and detail retention is to apply NR selectively (ie via layer masking or even History Brush, etc).

After trying all the products suggested here, I still think that masking layers is necessary with higher ISOs. Maybe I haven't figured it out yet, but DXO PL4 Deep Prime is not getting the noise out of the background for me without reducing sharpness in the subject with underexposed backgrounds in ISO 6400 images from the R5.

Save as another PSD master (but with NR).

Crop image (in PS) to taste and the desired aspect ratio for the desired output, then get rid of any left-over mergers. Resize (only) if displaying on screen. Apply sharpening selectively, then save as a PSD to a folder with that particular output size (ie 18x12 for print). If displaying on screen, then change bit depth and convert to JPG and save.

But now it looks like all I’ll need to do is send my RAWs to PL4/Deep Prime, wait for 5 seconds, and then Boom! Done!

That would be wonderful!!!

R2

Best,

-- hide signature --

Joe

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow