Low light performance

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
poipoipoi_2016 Contributing Member • Posts: 888
Re: Low light performance

MonkeyClaw wrote:

Okay, so this is my last question before I finally order either the X-T4 or the a7iii...

The Fuji ticks pretty much every box and I am only still considering the Sony because it is FF for the same price. I get that the IQ is intrinsically better with a bigger sensor but I keep hearing about the associated great low light performance from the Sony.

Am I right in thinking this translates to not having to use such high ISO when shooting in low light? So on the Fuji I would need to shoot higher ISO for a similar result?

But if the Fuji has better IBIS surely I can shoot same ISO as the Sony but a slower shutter speed? Obviously that's not possible with a moving subject.

Hmm...

Photography is complicated.

"Low-light performance" is conflating two topics.

1) With static subjects, the degree to which you can handhold certain shutter speeds at extreme ISO's. IE: Do I particularly like using a tripod as a cane walking around Zurich late at night on work trips?

2) With moving subjects, the degree to which you can drop ISO quite hard to have extremely *fast* shutter speeds.

In both cases, they're basically saying "ISO 12800, how usable is it?"  And at *that point*, the a7 III will end the X-T*3*. And I've never personally tested an X-T4

Also, you might not like the weight and price, but a 70-200/2.8 _exists_ for sports shooting or a 16-35/2.8 *exists* for night street photography.  Whereas APS-C will use the 10-24/4, which is a 15-36/5.6 equivalent because of the smaller sensor. At which point 2 stops of light run into much denser pixels with higher pixel noise.

poipoipoi_2016's gear list:poipoipoi_2016's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow