Canon R5 Hand-Held

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Funny Valentine
Funny Valentine Contributing Member • Posts: 907
Re: Canon R5 Hand-Held: the pixels are much smaller.

ColinR2016 wrote:

Thanks for your insight here. Most of my landscape photography is in good light so a fairly fast shutter speed is used. I think it's about 50% hand-held and 50% tripod mounted. This is a big decision for me and I don't want to spend a lot of money and only get an incremental improvement. Aside from sharpness, do you see any other advantages of the R6 in terms of the "full frame look" ?

As for the "full frame look" and "3D pop" I would go with the R6. Simply because the R6 is better than the R5 when using older lenses for example the EF lenses, thanks to its 20 megapixel sensor.

For the R5 to bring out the best of its high resolution sensor you need modern lenses that are overcorrected. For example new RF lenses have very high number of optical elements for maximum sharpness and aberration corrections. But the downside it they look very flat and lack micro contrast.

If you plan to use older lenses with less optical elements for more micro contrast and better depth, then it's better to avoid the 45 megapixel R5 as it will be crushed by those lenses. So in this type of use the 20 megapixels from the R6 are better.

You can read this article to find out more about depth and micro contrast: https://yannickkhong.com/blog/2015/10/4/the-flattening-of-modern-lenses-or-the-death-of-3d-pop

If you want maximum cropping and sharpness go for the R5.

If you want to play with low optical element lenses for better micro contrast and depth rendition go with the R6.

-- hide signature --

Funny Valentine's gear list:Funny Valentine's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow